The Young Scientists of Australia (YSA) is a national volunteer organisation of young people involved in promoting science to their peers and to the wider community, aged 15 to 25. The organisation is split into four state-based chapters (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide), and in total we have over a thousand members throughout Australia. The Melbourne chapter was formed in 1991, and was one of the first in Australia.
YSA Melbourne prides itself on being a welcoming and safe space for those with an interest, curiosity or passion for science.
The other big part of YSA is science outreach: helping the wider community understand, learn about and use science in their daily lives. Our message is that science is not just an activity for people in labs; every single one of us uses it every day! YSA is involved in many different volunteer community outreach opportunities helping schools, universities and the public learn that science is important, fun and useful in their daily lives.
We’re always looking for new members and people to help out, so if you are curious and want to find out more please don’t hesitate to contact us, join, or get involved! You can also come along to any of our events and meet us in person.
What we do
- Support National Science Week initiatives
- Staff the ConocoPhillips Science Experience at Monash University, Swinburne University, Federation University Australia, Penshurst Volcanoes Discovery Centre
- Staff the prestigious Youth ANZAAS program
- Generate cross-platform science media content: Blog, Podcast, Facebook, Twitter
- Create custom-designed science support programs for high schools & universities
- Offer socials, events & camps for all members
- Provide science support and networking facilities for youth interested in science: University Open Day Tours, YSA Melbourne Tuition Network