Information for Students
The Young Scientists of Australia (YSA) is a national organisation of young people involved in promoting science to their peers and to the wider community, aged 15 to 25. The organisation is split into four state-based chapters (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide), and in total have over a thousand members throughout Australia. The Melbourne chapter was formed in 1991, and was one of the first in Australia.
YSA Melbourne prides itself on being a welcoming and safe space for those with an interest, curiosity or passion for science. We’re always looking for new members and people to help out, so if you are curious and want to find out more please don’t hesitate to contact us, join, or get involved! You can also come along to any of our events and meet us in person.
What you can get involved with:
- Attend our great monthly socials, science events & camps for all members
- Have the time of your life while inspiring the next generation of scientists by staffing the ConocoPhillips Science Experience at Monash University, Swinburne University, Federation University Australia, or Penshurst Volcanoes Discovery Centre.
- Assist with National Science Week events, and join Australia’s biggest celebration of Aussie scientists
- Gain access to high-quality, cross-platform science media content: Blog, Podcast, Facebook, Twitter
- Discover a network of people who are able to offer first-hand experience and advice in academic enrolment, employment and job prospects in the industry
- Take a closer look into universities, and their wealth of scientific resources
- Gain access to the YSA Melbourne Tuition Network, and find quality tutors that you can trust.
If you have any questions about what we do, please don’t hesitate to contact our friendly committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in joining, you can find out how by visiting our How Do I Join? page.
Information for Parents
YSA is all about science and providing extracurricular opportunities otherwise hard to find for the scientifically inclined. Our members come from all walks of life, from all parts of Melbourne and even rural parts of Victoria. YSA is committed to creating a safe, positive environment for all members. In particular, some of the benefits for members of YSA lie in:
- A deeper understanding of science
- Challenge and extension for students who excel at the sciences and maths
- A positive environment where a passion for science and education is highly valued and respected
- A network of people who are able to offer first-hand experience and advice in academic enrolment
- A network of people who can offer advice on employment and job prospects in the industry
- A closer look, and better access to universities, and their wealth of scientific resources
Furthermore, all of our events and functions are drug, smoke and alcohol free. Always. YSA presents a fantastic opportunity for students to extend their passion, get quality advice from other members, unparalleled access to some fantastic resources and opportunities, and meet other like-minded people, with the same passion for science.
If you would like to get in touch with us, or ask any questions you may have, you can click here.
Information for Schools and Universities
YSA Melbourne is an organisation for young Australians aged 15-25 with a passion for science. We maintain active involvement with many schools & universities within both metro and regional Victoria. This is a relationship we value very highly.
YSA is unique in the sense that it is one of only few organisations in Australia that bring together the young, bright and most enthusiastic science, engineering and mathematical minds in Australia.
The majority of our members come from the under 18 bracket; a demographic which is very enticing to Universities. With YSA’s frequent interaction with major universities around Australia, it turns out that the involvement with universities that our members experience through YSA functions and events are significant influencing factors when students come to placing VCAA preferences to university entrance.
There is no coincidence that our members go on to study Bachelors of Advanced Science, Engineering and other science related degrees. Our members go on to contribute to a vibrant university culture through maintaining their level of involvement and engagement with science and engineering.
If you are a university and are interested in becoming involved with YSA, as a sponsor or as a resource and strategic partner please visit our contact us page.